Wednesday, November 17, 2004

I worked my first night as gig bar staff last night, to the tune of Embrace in the background. How scared was I? When I signed up, I may have lied about the fact that I've never done bar work before, which wasn't a good start. It was chaos right from the start, and I didn't really know what I was doing, or how to work the till. As a result, I messed up the till about 4 times in the first ten minutes. I think, nay I KNOW, that I slightly annoyed the other people working on my till, but it was all fine in the end when one of the boys who was particularly frustrated with me shook me by the shoulders and then showed me what to do (the shaking was to stop me from repeating sorry over and over again, rather than just random violence). After that, and the first wobbly half hour, I got into it and just did everything automatically. I did have a few glitches though. You see, we're not allowed to give out cans, it has to be poured into a plastic glass, and I was, shall we say, taking my time doing this. So a few men got a bit frustrated with me and reached across the bar and poured their own. The first bitter I poured went very cloudy and the bloke's face dropped as he saw it being poured. I said he could have it for free and just pay for his lagers, but when I came back from sorting out his change it had all settled out, was a perfect pint and he was standing there with a huge grin on his face. So I was duped. However, a few men were either dazzled by my beauty, or felt sorry for me, and gave me a tip. However, I didn't have any pockets so I put it in my shoe. I thought it was rather ingenius of me, but I did have several coins rolling around under my toes for 4 hours. How was the band, I hear you asking? I couldn't tell you. I was far too busy to pay any attention, unfortunately. I did have a bit of a sing along to Ashes and Gravity though.

2 Comments:

  • At 11:40 am, Blogger K said…

    It gets easier, and if you have a good team working with you its really fun, especially the nights out!

     
  • At 11:17 am, Blogger Marie said…

    Just retreating into your blog, it all got a bit heated on mine this weekend. And I hope you know there are no hard feelings! You are always welcome to come onto my blog and disagree with me. Yours is still great.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home