Saturday, June 18, 2005

Now, I don't want to make myself sound like a sad, pathetic loser, but I am still unemployed. Oh. Look at that. I did it anyway.

I think it is safe to say that I have not got the job that I had an interview for on Thursday, so I shall now disclose what it was for.

*drumroll*

An ice-cream lady!

I kid you not. The position I applied for was a full time superviser of an ice cream shop to be opened in the Colwyn Bay shopping centre. Now, admittedly, it doesn't sound like the most difficult job in the world, or, perhaps, the best, but when I called up the number given in the Jobcentre the man I spoke to was very enthusiastic and said the interview was basically just so he could meet me. He also told me to bring along a CV, which I spent over a bloody hour preparing on Wednesday night, albeit most of that time having been taken up trying to get the printer to work. The interview came ... and went. It was very bizarre - it lasted all of 5 minutes, I wasn't asked any questions whatsoever, and the CV I was asked to bring and had lovingly prepared was barely glanced at. I was told that from the 'interview' I was 'more than OK', and although they had a few other people to see first, I would get a call that afternoon, after 1.30pm, to let me know either way.

1.30pm came and went. Fair enough. He said after 1.30pm. However, hour after hour went by, and still nothing. Thursday afternoon was the busiest my phone has ever been, but everytime it rang, it wasn't the job, it was someone else entirely, and it took me at least 10 minutes each time to stop shaking again. By 4.30pm I still hadn't heard anything so, upon the pressurising from Tim and against my own better judgement, I called them up to see if they had made a decision yet. A little over eager, perhaps, but not too unprofessional. Until! The one time I picked up the phone to make a call that afternoon, and mum picked it up downstairs and started dialling. Now, the professional thing for me to do would have been to say to the man, 'excuse me, could you hang on one minute?' and then rush downstairs and quietly ask mum to put the phone down. But in my adrenalin-rushed state (yes, I do get that carried away) I screamed down the stairs, phone still in my hand, 'MUM! PUT THE PHONE DOWN! MUM!!!!!!!!' The man on the other end of the phone, having heard that very unprofessional outburst, said that they hadn't yet made a decision and they'd let me know the next morning. By now, I was a jiberring wreck, and foolishly failed to stop my mouth from talking and went on to say, 'will you be letting me know only if I get it, or will you call me anywayif I haven't?' By this point he was a bit pissed off and just said, 'we'll let you know, OK?!' and hung up.

Oh dear.

Needless to say, I didn't hear anything all day yesterday or today, so I am assuming that I didn't get the job. I don't quite know how to take this rejection, seeing as how he was so positive on the phone, and equally so, really, in the (rather odd) interview. Perhaps someone qualified to their eyeballs (to sell bleeding ice cream, people!) walked in after me, or my telephonic outburst did more damage than good. Either way, I am consoling myself with the fact that had I got the job there is no way that it would have done my 'get slim for the holiday' diet any good whatsoever, as how could I possibly have resisted all that ice cream? A holiday that, at this rate, I will not be going on because I still have no money.

And what happened to the fabulous historical-type job I mentioned earlier, I hear you ask? Well! While being my dream job, it only offered a maximum of 20 hours a week and I really need more than that in order to pay for the holiday AND my summer rent for my Leeds house, so, while I was offered an interview for that job, I (rather stupidly now, it would seem) turned it down as I already had an interview for the bloody ice cream job and on the phone he made it sound like I pretty much already had it. Kicking myself in all manner of painful places right now, I can tell you!

The good news (yes, there is some) is that I have another interview on Monday morning. If I don't get that job, then it may soon be time to consider other career prospects, such as as a table dancer perhaps. I hear they get pretty good hourly rates.

In other news, the exercising is still going well. In response to some comments I got to my last post, I am realistic enough to know I will never actually have 17 year old thighs again, but I am using it as a sort of motivational tool as I at least tone up my less than toned bits in time for the holiday.

If I ever get enough money to pay for it.

And while I have continued turning down those Galaxy bars, I have proved to not be strong enough to say no to a Cadbury's Fruit and Nut, minus the nuts cos I don't like them.

I have been passed on a meme from Rhys, but its a rather long one, and this post is long enough as it is already, so I will save that for next time.

4 Comments:

  • At 2:11 am, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    All I can say is - that's funny. I was thinking about loads of bad puns about ice cream ie.

    You've been frozen out of the conversation..

    and..

    ICE-rtainly wouldn't have turned you down

    But, i realise now (even now I'm steaming) that they are not in the remotest bit funny so consider yourself lucky this time!!

    btw hangover cure didn't work this morning, still felt like s**t. Try again tomorrow...!

     
  • At 2:18 am, Blogger Curly said…

    dont know how I posted thatunder a new name - magic I suppose.

     
  • At 9:42 am, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    did you happen to mention you're on a diet during the ice-cream interview? maybe they thought you wouldn't sell it well enough if you were dieting...

     
  • At 11:07 am, Blogger Marie said…

    Ooh! I don't like the fruit in fruit and nut bars. We can share them.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home