Tuesday, June 14, 2005

This is what I used to look like when I was 17 -

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Please ignore the mad hair (I was in the middle of the windy sea) and the even madder sunglasses, and instead pay particular attention to the slim shoulders and not-fat thighs. It may be a poor quality photo, but these two particular last points are fairly clear.

The point? I was once thin. Further point? I will be thin again! And hopefully by the time I go away - i.e. in 7 weeks time.

The tennis I have started playing again will hopefully contribute some way towards my target (of not-fat thighs). But I am aware that piss-about pretendy tennis will not achieve my target alone. So, along with taking the momentous step of refusing a Galaxy bar today (I never refuse a Galaxy bar), today I also started using this -

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Shown in its usual state as a dog-towel holder is my dad's cross-trainer. You can tell how much it gets used. After waiting for my tea to go down, as you always should before pursuing exercise, while watching Emmerdale and Eastenders, I climbed aboard said cross-trainer and cross-trained for 45 minutes. So as not to get too bored while staring at the garage door in front of me, I listened to music on my MP3 player (my student budget won't quite stretch to a pink mini iPod) and also used it as an exercise aid, with varying my cross-training speed according to the beat of the song. Tonight I managed to get through 11 songs, covering countless kilometres (probably - I forgot to look) and over 300 calories! Yes I know thats only about one chocolate bar, but its a bloody good start!

Not to copy any particular bloggers, no not a one, below you can find the first 11 songs on my MP3 player, as cross-trained to tonight.

  1. Everything I do (I do it for you) by Bryan Adams - A good warm up song as the beat was very slow.
  2. Layla by Derek and the Dominoes - This one was quite fast - averaged about 63 steps per minute.
  3. Go Your Own Way by Fleetwood Mac - Bloody hell! I nearly killed myself with this one! Averaged 78 per minute!
  4. Dreams by Fleetwood Mac - Quite fast but not heart attack inducing.
  5. Seven Wonders by Fleetwood Mac - See above.
  6. Club Foot by Kasabian - It was very hard to pick out a beat with this one. I think it was a very slow one, but I wasn't sure so I just went very fast again after the last leisurely ones.
  7. Dakota by Sterephonics - Another fast one! 71 per minute!
  8. Maybe Tomorrow by Stereophonics - I flicked past this one. It bores me now - I really need to delete that song actually.
  9. Scar Tissue by Red Hot Chili Peppers - I slowed down a bit to this one - didn't want my favourite song ever to be associated with pain in my mind.
  10. Sara by Fleetwood Mac - Oh I really like this song. A nice steady 66 per minute, which burned, but not too much. A very long song. I quite got in the zone with it actually!
  11. Rhiannon by Fleetwood Mac - Oh. I just remembered that by this point I was bored so stopped 10 seconds into the song. So I only actually go through 10 songs. Oh well.

I would just like to add that the cross-trainer was set at difficulty rating (or something) number 7, and thats from a choice of 1 to 10, 10 being near impossible at the moment.

So! Hopefully, along with the fact that I am now drinking considerably less lager now that I'm away from the student 'scene', I may once again soon have not-fat thighs!

In 7 weeks.

Hmm.

6 Comments:

  • At 10:11 am, Blogger Huw said…

    What I want to know is what happened to the Galaxy bar? It didn't go to waste did it? Please don't say it went to waste.

    I would recommend The Eye of the Tiger by Survivor for that always difficult 12th minute of exercising...

     
  • At 3:38 pm, Blogger Curly said…

    Try Prodigys' Out of Space - You may actually die on that thing at that speed!

     
  • At 4:53 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Laura, you do NOT need to diet or exercise! But been as your hell-bent on doing so GOOD LUCK with it. And send those choccie bars my way ;)

     
  • At 5:54 pm, Blogger Laura said…

    You lot haven't seen my thighs recently though have you? (and neither will you until they're not-fat again - so maybe never) but thanx loads anyways! *blushes*

    fear not, the galaxy went to my sister, a worthy cause if ever there was one. today i turned down ANOTHER galaxy bar! gosh, i'm doing well!

     
  • At 7:56 pm, Blogger Marie said…

    Trying to be as thin as you were when you were 17 is the way to misery. Growing into a woman = being skinny. Being a woman = having body fat. Sad but true. I say eat what you like, have fun, you are clearly quite the fox from your photos and have nought to worry about, and Richard Armitage think so too (I am keeping him locked up in my basement but he asked me to let you know.)

     
  • At 11:12 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hey Laura!!
    A few more suggestions for the cross trainer soundtrack- hey just take a tip from the Fruitcupboard soundtrack, i.e. the Theme from Fame, Flashdance and Dancin' in the Dark! Or like that mad exercise class run by a mentalist at uni where we were all hopping around to My First, My Last, My Everything and Stayin' Alive- twas fun tho...

    I've started to take my Walkman (retro I kno) to the gym cos the owners seem to think you can actually exercise to Beenie Man or some such shit!!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home