Thursday, August 11, 2005

I'm having a bit of a crap time in work (pub) at the moment. My hours are being messed around, and the manager was all moody with me when I said I was leaving, a mere 2 weeks earlier than I was going to anyway. The busiest nights of the week (Saturday and Sunday) were ridiculously understaffed last week and those of us who were there were made to feel inadequate in our jobs by the manager when it got so (understandably) busy. I have had one night off the whole two months I have been working there, and even then only for a friend's birthday (that's what I told the manager, anyway, otherwise he wouldn't have given it me off) and have since received sarcastic comments about skiving, even though everyone else practically dictates their hours to him, and despite being told 'no more nights off now Laura - I'm not having any more of that', I have been scheduled down for not working two of my usual five nights this week. That would have meant loosing out on two nights of pay when every penny counts at the moment. I've managed to wangle my way back on to the rota for one of those two nights, but I couldn't for the other one, hence why I am now blogging, when usually I am on my way to work right about now. And the tills keep mysteriously being down at the end of the night - on Saturday both tills (there are two) were down by £20 each. The manager's answer to this mysterious and recent development is to take the £40 out of the wages of whoever was working that night - i.e. me included. Now, I'm not being funny, but a £5 missing here and there, while being unfortunate, can easily be done on a busy Saturday night with 4 people working - wrong change of a few pence here and there can add up. But £20 exactly in each till?!? Not that I'm implying anything, but perhaps something funny is going on ... ?

All I can really say at this point, is I am glad I only have two weekends left before I leave. I've really enjoyed working there - the staff are great fun and I've made some great friends amongst them, and some of the regulars are amazing individuals - but 5 nights a week for 2 months and with the world's most unpredictable manager is finally getting a bit stale.

I'm still enjoying it in the castle though! So thats good!

But, I think, in order to cheer me up, I shall post this fabulous picture that I came across earlier -


Its from Mr Phoenix's new film, 'Walk the Line', with Reese Witherspoon, in which he plays Johnny Cash. Joaquin playing a guitar - mmmm!!!

7 Comments:

  • At 3:57 pm, Blogger Curly said…

    Why are there so many arsehole managers in pubs? They always try and come across all lovely to the customers but everyone can see straight through it.

    I guess the anticipation for your holiday is even greater now?!

     
  • At 5:41 pm, Blogger Laura said…

    yep! 10 days left!! can't bloody wait!

     
  • At 9:48 pm, Blogger Huw said…

    I always thought 'being a bit of a nob' was in the job description for any management role...?

     
  • At 10:44 pm, Blogger Laura said…

    bloody hell - where did that come from?!

     
  • At 10:18 am, Blogger Curly said…

    It's this blog-spam that's going around at the moment - delete it.

    Loads of people are getting spam comments recently. It's well annoying.

     
  • At 12:08 pm, Blogger Huw said…

    I mean, the least they could do is spam something interesting, like links to Hot Teens or something.

    Ahem.

     
  • At 3:47 pm, Blogger Laura said…

    well exactly. how inconsiderate.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home