Friday, September 23, 2005

And I'm back in Leeds.

I have moved into my new house, which is so obviously a perfect party house!, and I have been spending time getting to know my new house mates, who I can confirm are lovely. All my stuff is in my new bedroom, which is probably the tiniest bedroom ever, and although a bit of a shock at first after last year's beautiful purple bedroom complete with real floorboards and skylight, has quickly become nice and cosy. Until Tim comes to visit and it becomes a miniature prison cell with no visible floorspace, probably.

Classes and lessons (what little I have of them - I'm a history student, remember) start next week. This year's classes are as follows:

  • Italian Merchants in the Twelfth Century
  • Special Subject: The Reign of Edward II
  • The Age of Chivalry and Knighthood
  • Dissertation: as yet, unknown

Doesn't it sound thrilling?!

*silence*

Well, I'm excited!

Speaking of excitement, the university is simply abuzz (such a word?) with fresh-faced first-years. I remember what it was like to be a fresher - talking to absolutely anyone within reach who stands still long enough, whether it be on a bus, in a queue or in a lift, in order to make as many friends as possible, as quickly as possible. Just now, I was waiting for a lift in my department and two sprightly looking girls bounded up to me, and one asked what floor I was going to. I replied "Floor 3". She replied "Me too!". The three of us got into the lift together and the other sprightly girl asked the first one, "Are you a first-year? Are you off to meet your personal tutor?" To which the first girl replied, with the most energetic head-nodding I have ever seen, "Yes! Yes I am!". Then they both turned to me and asked me in unison, "Are you a first-year? Are you meeting your personal tutor?!" To which I replied, "No, I'm a third-year and I'm going to pick up my timetable" (to their obvious disapointment - after all, what fun are boring old finalists, ay?). They both then wandered off, happily chattering to each other, new best friends for life. No sooner had I picked up my timetable ( a mere 30 seconds after exiting the lift) than the first first-year ran up to me and begged me to show her how to get to floor such-and-such in building such-and-such for her meeting, which she was TWO WHOLE GHASTLY MINUTES LATE FOR, which I very kindly did, because I am that generous and kind a person.

Aw. Freshers. Bless 'em.

On a side note, may someone (most probably Marie) please explain to me how on earth Martha can be Alf's granddaughter?! She cannot possible be Duncan's child, as she is at least a year older than him, and to my knowledge, Roo (or whatever) does not have a daughter. After being away for nearly a month, I have astonished myself with how quickly I have got back up to date with all my fave soaps, both UK and Aussie based, almost as if I had never been away, in fact. I don't really know if this is a testiment to my soap 'skills' (as it were) or is a demonstration of how bad these programmes are, in that in four weeks nothing has changed. However, despite all this, the whole Martha-thing has me stumped.

And ALSO, I would like to make a H&A statement -

ZOE IS THE SUMMER BAY STALKER!

I would like it to be noted, in advance of when the plot unfolds, that I knew first! (Unless, of course I am wrong, then I shall deny all knowledge.) As of yet, I haven't figured out why she would be the stalker, although I think it will probably be Sarah-related.

8 Comments:

  • At 11:49 pm, Blogger Marie said…

    Your wish is my command.

    Martha is Roo's daughter. She was adopted. When I rack my brains about it I can confirm that this is correct, though foer her to be 18 years old might be pushing it. Can I also point out she has the same badly-capped teeth as Jesse - they are obviously made for each other.

    Zoe is indeed the Summer Bay stalker. Don't expect anyone to be impressed. I've known for weeks, mainly because otherwise her character is utterly pointless. She is the only one who isn't in the opening credits and who isn't the policeman investigating the case, or dead, or Morag Bellingham. Of course, it would have been much better had Morag Bellingham been the stalker, but nobody ever asks me for my opinion, do they?

     
  • At 11:53 pm, Blogger Laura said…

    Oh. And there was me thinking I was a H&A genius. I hadn't thought of Morag though. That would indeed have been much better.

    *whispers* although at one point I did seriously think it was Flynn, chemically altered by all his pill-popping perhaps.

    I also think Peter will die next cos he's not in the credits either.

     
  • At 9:00 am, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    We are meant to think it's Zoe - she is dating Kim after all and he always picks the pyscho's... but maybe Peter's in on it too - he's got some sexy stalker-like look in his eyes...

     
  • At 11:34 am, Blogger Curly said…

    I've just read this post twice and can't remember a thing... I think I'll try again later.. phew!

     
  • At 10:17 am, Blogger Curly said…

    Round Two.

    Swansea is awash with freshers too, I'm sure that they are all too young to go to uni though. And food shopping in Cardiff on the weekend was a nightmare!

    Still, I have to wade in amongst them on Tuesday as I'm starting a part-time course. Can't wait!

    "Hi, I'm Chris - I'm 23 and I'm a fresher - wanna talk about where you're from?"

     
  • At 2:00 pm, Blogger Huw said…

    All this "being smiled at" I'm experiencing round my Uni is most disconcerting.

    I have taken to bearing my teeth and shaking a clenched fist at any 1st years who look like they might be thinking about approaching me, which seems to be working. I estimate that in a weeks time they will be settled in, and sullenly ignoring everyone like the rest of us.

     
  • At 5:42 pm, Blogger Curly said…

    How's the first week back gone then Laura?

     
  • At 8:20 pm, Blogger Marie said…

    Update your blog. Pleeeeeaaaase!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home