Sunday, December 11, 2005

I am back in Wales for Christmas. Quite frankly, there really is nowhere else to be!

After Sunday dinner today, Tim and I set off out for the afternoon. I suggested going to this pancake house that I had heard of somewhere in Trefriw. I was very confident I knew where it was.

So we drove through the Conwy valley, on the Trefriw side of the Conwy River. Through this valley-


I believe, that that cluster of houses is actually Trefriw itself! A lovely place.

However, either we blinked and missed it, which is very easy to do with Trefriw as it is so small, or I didn't know where this pancake place was after all, as before we knew it we had passed through Trefriw, and there was no pancake house to be seen. From Colwyn Bay it takes a good half an hour's drive to reach this point, and I was really quite hungry, what with all the talk of pancakes, but thankfully by now we were at this bridge -


and on the otherside of this bridge is Llanrwst! A lovely little historic market town.


We wandered around Llanrwst for a bit, and then went into a tiny little tea rooms/antiques shop, which was a bizarre but appealing mix of medieval and Victorian. We had Welsh Cream Teas, which are the same as any other cream teas (i.e. tea, scones, jam and cream) but with the added extra of Bara Brith, a fruity, cake loaf made with tea ( I think).


Yum!

When we had finished stuffing our faces, we headed back off home, this time driving along the other (quicker) side of the Conwy.

When we got home, I introduced Tim to my Nainie (Grandma in Welsh), who, for many reasons, had yet to have had the pleasure of meeting each other. After Tim went home for his tea, Nainie informed me that Tim is very nice, and asked me 'when are you going to get married then?'

Later tonight, we are going to watch Narnia.

It is nice to be back home again.

*Disclaimer - no photos were actually taken throughout the course of the day. I didn't take my camera but decided to spruce up an otherwise potentially quite dull post with some illustrations. All pictures appear courtesy of Google Images, and for that, I thank them.*

7 Comments:

  • At 7:49 pm, Blogger Huw said…

    My Nanan is always stocking me up with tins of the likes of Bara Birth when I see her. I don't actually particularly like the stuff, but it seems to please her. As it does the birds in my garden...

     
  • At 11:15 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hello welsh girl in leeds. I have finally got round to finding your blog. Sounds like your having a good time back home. Have a good christmas and a happy new year.

    From the creature that lives behind your bedroom wall.

     
  • At 8:02 pm, Blogger Richard said…

    How on earth did you manage to make Wales look so damned inviting; when the only time I've ever ventured into the country, the sheer grey dullness was screaming 'GO HOME!' at me - in full volume!

     
  • At 9:57 am, Blogger Curly said…

    Bara Brith is truly amazing stuff, my Nan and Tadgu always have some prepared when I visit them too!

    Richard - You didn't go to Newport did you?

     
  • At 1:23 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    very picture-esque

     
  • At 2:55 pm, Blogger Laura said…

    hello Chris - shouldn't that be the 'coughing creature that lives behind your bedroom wall'? ;)

    Richard - OMG! Mrs Richard didn't kill you and hide your body under the floorboards after all!

     
  • At 10:42 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hey, hope all is still well in Waleshire. You are right that sould be the coughing creature that live behind your bedroom wall. For possibly the funniest web articles ever go to www.seanbaby.com/stupid.htm and read the absoludicrous video reviews.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home