Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Continuing with the film theme, in eager anticipation of another film I mentioned a while ago and am really looking forward to watching, I decided to do a bit of Googling on said film, Walk The Line. Like Brokeback Mountian, Walk The Line has been winning some serious awards, reviews and column inches, particularly Reese Witherspoon for her portrayal of June Carter Cash. Reese, incidentally, isn't actually her real name - its Laura Reese Witherspoon. A little useless fact for you there.

I already knew who Johnny Cash was. Who wouldn't, what with all the aforementioned press coverage, etc. Also, Johnny Cash was a regular in a series of Dr Quinn Medicine Woman, many years ago (1993, I believe). Its this, to be honest, which is the more likely explanation for why I knew who he was. But I can honestly say I had no idea what June Carter Cash looked like. So, I got Googling.

This is Mr and Mrs Cash in their current silver-screen incarnation-


This is them as they were way back when - I'm guessing the 60s-

And THEN, I found a more recent picture of them, circa 1993 (that's a clue)-


Have you got it yet kids?

This photo was taken from Dr Quinn Medicine Woman, when Johnny Cash played a character called Kid Cole, who fell in love with some new-age healer lady called Sister Ruth, married her and ran off into the sunset with her, living happily ever after before he died of diabetes, or TB, or something else that not even super doc Michaela Quinn could cure. Now, this was obviously lost on me when I watched it the first time round at the tender age of 9, and also when I watched Dr Quinn again (obsessively) on the *whispers it* Hallmark Channel a year or so ago, but it would appear that Sister Ruth was played by none other than June Carter Cash! Aww!

Why I knew who Johnny Cash was as a direct result of Dr Quinn, but the same programme, and even same storyline, failed to do the same for me with his lady wife is a mystery to me. But, at least I now know what she looked like. And now, just in case you didn't already, so do all of YOU. Don't say I never do anything for you.

4 Comments:

  • At 5:10 pm, Blogger Ms Mac said…

    Thankyou Laura. I mean that sincerely because while I have seen Walk The Line and did wonder what the real June Carter Cash looked like, I was far too lazy to look for her myself.

     
  • At 10:50 pm, Blogger Marie said…

    I notice they give Reece Witherspoon far less stupid hair than June Carter Cash.

     
  • At 3:42 pm, Blogger Huw said…

    As if my brain wasn't overflowing with enough useless trivia. Tsck.

     
  • At 7:55 am, Blogger Amy said…

    Hey,
    just had to say hello - for years I was "welshgirlinleeds" but I moved eighteen months ago and am now "welshgirlinderby" (dot blogspot dot com, obviously) so you're very lucky because if I hadn't then you couldn't be who you are, if you see what I mean! Anyway, I'm glad the title has been taken over; I always thought it had a good ring to it....
    Will now go and read your blog properly!
    xx

     

Post a Comment

<< Home