Thursday, February 02, 2006



I saw Memoirs of a Geisha last night. I wasn't really expecting to love it because I've seen the trailer quite a few times but wasn't moved by an urgent desire to run out and see it (the effect that Brokeback Mountain had the first time I saw the trailer for that about 5 months ago, for example). This really suprised me as I usually love films like that. However, I was pleasantly suprised.

Visually, it was stunning, and the little girl who plays the main character as a child, whose name I can neither pronounce or spell, was amazing for such a little person. The love story, although a bit predictable, had me in tears at one point. All in all, apart from one scene that reminded me far too much of The Ring and The Grudge and made me shudder, its a simply fabulous film.

In reflection on the frequency of films in my recent posts (all 3 of them) I have decided to compile a list of the films that I really cannot wait to see which are coming out very soon:

  1. Walk The Line - Joaquin Phoenix. 'Nuff said.
  2. The New World - A live action version of my favourite Disney film. I wonder if Grandmother Willow will be in it? Also, Colin Farrell and Christian Bale.
  3. Casanova - When this trailer comes on in the cinema, I'm the one saying "I've been there! And I've been there!" when different parts of Venice are shown. Also, Heath Ledger. Mmmm.
  4. Derailed - Not really sure what this one's about to be honest, but it's got Clive Owen in it.
  5. Grizzly Man - No attractive, potentially shirtless men in this one, but it does look very entertaining.

Who says my life revolves around the telly? Because cinema's pretty important too.

3 Comments:

  • At 1:44 pm, Blogger Ms Mac said…

    I'm looking forward to the Geisha movie, loved the book so it's got a lot to live up to!

     
  • At 7:58 pm, Blogger Richard said…

    Echo ms.mac's comments - get the book (if you haven't already); it's fantastic - I've not seen the movie, but I'm sure there is no way on earth that it could do the novel justice.

     
  • At 9:03 pm, Blogger Curly said…

    Walk The Line, I'm not big movie fan - but I am a GIANT music fan (not fat btw) and I'm really keen to see this. Although, I'm scared that I'm going to have a go at Phoenix for not doing a good enough Cash.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home