Wednesday, March 29, 2006

I went to see Hostel last night. I won't post a picture to illustrate this fact, as I already have enough images from the film going around my head, many of which I'd rather forget, and I don't really want to add fuel to the fire, as it were. I am currently in the process of erradicating several scenes from the film from my mind through sheer willpower.

Yes, folks, it was that bad. Some readers who have seen it may disagree with me (men, I'd hazard a guess), but in my opinion, it was horrific. Now, this doesn't neccassarily mean it was bad. Yes, there were several scenes where I had my coat over my head, my hands over my ears and was actually crying with the horror (what can I say? I've never really been a fan of torture). Yes, there were at least two points when I actually thought I was going to have to leave the screen and sit out the film in the foyer. However, unlike most other gory horror films, this one actually made me think. Not to spoil it for those of you who still want to go and see it even after reading this, or indeed those of you who have now been spurred on to go and see it, but the circumstances that surround and result in the torture and gore could really, actually, probably already are, happen. Yes, thought-provoking indeed. But still very, very horrible.

Needless to say it took me literally hours to get to sleep last night. Even more than when I saw The Hills Have Eyes a few weeks ago. Why do I do it to myself, you ask? Well, after four years of making Tim see fluffy chick-flicks and romantic comedies it is, I suppose, the least I can do. And also, scary movies are a bit like rollercoasters. You know its going to be scary, and you hate feeling scared, but at the same time the scaryness is also really quite fun.

In other news, I am indeed at home in Wales at the moment for the Easter holidays, not that it'll be a holiday (see second to last post). I have spent the past two days finishing off my dissertation notes and then staring at the computer screen hoping it will throw some inspiration at me. The thing was, I knew exactly what I wanted to say, but it was the actually starting it that was proving the problem. However, today I just thought sod it, sat down at my computer and just typed whatever came into my head. I then went back and deleted the random crap I had just written, but the barrier had been broken and I was off! However, the barrier didn't break until approximately 9pm, so I have only written about 500 words so far, but I am confident that from tomorrow the writing of the other 11,500 words will be, I really, truly hope, easy.

Here's hoping.

6 Comments:

  • At 9:56 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Yeah, didn't fancy "Hostel" myself. You make me glad I stayed away :) Were you honestly scared by "The Hills Have Eyes" though? Seriously?

     
  • At 12:47 am, Blogger Laura said…

    No not scared. I actually found it really funny, especially the second half. But I just don't like gory stuff and you've got to admit that there were some gory bits in 'Hills'. But whether I'm scared while actually watching the film or not, I am always affected by it after. I think its having the time to re-run things over and over in my mind, or something. Basically, when I got home after watching 'Hills' I made Tim wait in his car at my drive until I was in the house and had shut and locked the door, incase any inbred/deformed/mutated maniacs nearby tried to grab me, and I entered my bedroom with extreme caution in case there were any lying in wait for me. That sort of affected. Also, horror films were there's a human element scare me but I can reconcile myself with them because there's a logical explanation (insanity/desease/revenge/radiation/etc.). However, horror films with a supernatural element, spirits and things, basically scare me shitless because there's no explanation and you can't physically stop a haunting/posession etc.

    Perhaps, just perhaps, I have a far too overactive imagination. I also think that I should really just not watch horror films.

     
  • At 8:53 am, Blogger Rhys said…

    We used to watch some mid 1970's video nasties which were just gore all the way through. I wasn't to keen on them, but I don't mind gore if there's a story behind it (Kill Bill, for example)

     
  • At 8:21 am, Blogger Amy said…

    I'm having a panic attack just reading your post! (not really, but I thought I'd get into the swing...)
    On a dissertation note: don't you hate it when people tell you that actually, you will find you end up writing MORE than 12 000 words and will have to cut bits out...? I hated that; it didn't end up being the slightest bit true for me anyway (but then I am the author of the most dull dissertation in the history of the world). So I am not saying that; I am saying you will be all great and fluffy and you will get those 11 500 words written. Today, probably. In fact, I'm sure you have already done it! (are you feeling the faith?)

     
  • At 9:41 am, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    But I just don't like gory stuff and you've got to admit that there were some gory bits in 'Hills'.

    Everyone keeps saying that but I found it really tame. Maybe I've watched a lot more other gore-films than I reliased. I don't like horror movies as a rule though cos I'm a big wimp. I only went to see "Hills" cos it was my sister's birthday.

     
  • At 10:44 am, Blogger Curly said…

    Ys is on to something there... just watch the most disgusting film around and everything else will seem tame compared!

    Hope the diss is going okay. Imagine that, stuck inside with all this fantastic weather...

     

Post a Comment

<< Home